tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jim Rudnicki <jdr5l...@pacbell.net>
Subject Re: sample/myapp help (tomcat + apache + servlet not working, at leas t not as I would expect it too)
Date Thu, 23 Nov 2000 04:24:06 GMT
This is a fairly typical problem.  Tomcat is not at fault, to get started,
run it standalone and your problems will go away, the <servlet-mapping>'s
will start working, your hair will grow back, etc., etc.

Apache is the source of your problem.  It needs to be told that
localhost/myapp/hello
should be directed to the servlet engine.  When it sees
localhost/myapp/servlet/HelloServlet
it can use a simple servlet/* to forward.  But without the "servlet" it does
not know.

My first advice is to dump the mappings.  All they do is save you from
typing 8 character when authoring html pages.  This is what I do.

Second advice is to manually add an entry to the Apache config file for
_each and every_ mapping.  I gave up on this approach real quickly.

Jim