tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Kok Fong" <>
Subject Problem starting Tomcat
Date Thu, 09 Nov 2000 09:02:04 GMT
Dear all,

I am quite new to Tomcat and decided to try out Tomcat recently.  I downloaded the release
build and got built tomcat according to the recomended scripts in the readme file. However
after building tomcat when I tried to start up tomcat I get the error at the end of this email.
 I tried to change the port number however it didn't work as well.

I hope that I am not asking a obvious question because I have tried changing the port number
and probing around the server.xml file.  And still I couldn't find anything at all.

Hope you guys can help me.

Best Regards,

Kok Fong

<JASPER_LOG> Thu Nov 09 16:51:16 CST 2000 The scratchDir you specified: /home/ja
mmer/jakarta_home/build/tomcat/work/localhost_8080%2Ftest is unusable.</JASPER_L
Context log path="/test" :default: init
Context log path="" :tomcat.errorPage: init
Context log path="" :jsp: init
<JASPER_LOG> Thu Nov 09 16:51:16 CST 2000 The scratchDir you specified: /home/ja
mmer/jakarta_home/build/tomcat/work/localhost_8080 is unusable.</JASPER_LOG> Address already in use Address already in use
        at Method)
        at org.apache.tomcat.service.SimpleTcpEndpoint.startEndpoint(SimpleTcpEn
        at org.apache.tomcat.service.SimpleTcpConnector.start(SimpleTcpConnector
        at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.start(
        at org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat.execute(
        at org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat.main(
Kok Fong
Asiaship.Com Pte Ltd
491B Rivervalley Road
#14-03 Valley Point