tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Rachel Greenham <>
Subject Re: Servlet invoker woes - servlet-mapping /servlets/* to invoker fails on 3.2
Date Mon, 20 Nov 2000 10:35:04 GMT
On Saturday 18 November 2000 00:29, you wrote:
> As of Tomcat 3.2-b8 (to be created on Monday), you will be able to set a
> parameter in the server.xml file to override the prefix used by the invoker
> servlet.  There is an entry that looks like this:
>     <RequestInterceptor
>         className="org.apache.tomcat.request.InvokerInterceptor"
>         debug="0" prefix="/servlet/" />
> and you can change the prefix attribute to "/servlets/" for your particular
> case.

I already did this, on 3.2b7, the same solution works already. That's how I
resolved the issue for now, but I wasn't happy with it, because our webapps
weren't compatible between 3.1 and 3.2, which was worrying to say the least.
What's needed is a *standard* solution to this problem that will work across
all API-compliant servlet containers - ie: defined in the WEB-INF/web.xml for
the webapp. Or I need to know for sure that there is no such standard
solution and we should be using aliases for all our servlets. I had another
look through the API specification and to me it looks like the latter, which
would be a major pain.

> In Tomcat 4.0, the ability to configure global defaults in the
> "conf/web.xml" file is restored to the way it worked in Tomcat 3.1 -- it is
> much more intuitive for things like this.

Because we're trying to write nice well-behaved webapps, we don't want to
have to change a global setting, only a local-to-webapp setting. I was able
to do this on Tomcat 3.1.

View raw message