tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Jon Skeet" <jon.sk...@peramon.com>
Subject Re: Why run multiple tomcats?
Date Mon, 06 Nov 2000 07:43:19 GMT
> Well, with each webapp getting it's own "/lib" and "/classes" directories
> and such (although this is part of the servlet 2.2 spec, so not unique to
> tomcat), tomcat has already gone a long way toward giving each development
> its own sandbox. About the only thing that I can think of off the top of my
> head that's still server-wide is the users/passwords. If tomcat could make
> that localizable, it seems that you'd only need to run one server. As far as
> users being able to crash the server without affecting anybody..... tomcat
> itself should crash when a webapp misbehaves.

Did you mean that tomcat itself *shouldn't* crash?

The thing is, servlets are still capable of doing nasty things like going
into tight loops etc. It's handy to be able to kill each developer's VM
separately - and potentially start each VM up with different parameters
(for proxies etc) or even run completely different VMs. Servlets also share
the same System.out, which can be handy to redirect for debugging purposes.

Jon