tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jason Rumney <jrum...@attlabs.att.com>
Subject Re: Maximum Available Memory
Date Thu, 19 Oct 2000 15:39:44 GMT
"Ed Gomolka" <egomolka@ausinfo.com> writes:

> By multiple instances, I mean start up the Tomcat servlet
> engine more than once.
> This would presumably involve having multiple=20
> "startup.sh" files, and also having the different
> instances of Tomcat listening on different ports.

Multiple startup.sh files are not necessary, multiple "server.xml" files
(with different port settings) are. You can specify the "server.xml"
file to use via the "-f" command-line switch to tomcat.sh (and
startup/shutdown.sh which are just wrappers for that script).

> There may also be other parameters that would need to change=20
> from one instance to the next. I haven't tried it yet,=20
> so I don't yet know all of the things that might have to change.

I run 3 different instances of Tomcat on my development machine (to
accomodate different CORBA configurations), and the port numbers are
the only Tomcat configuration that needs to change. You will need to
configure Apache for load-balancing across the Tomcat instances for
the type of use you are wanting though.

--
Jason Rumney <jrumney@attlabs.att.com>
AT&T Labs (Redditch, UK)