tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jason Rumney <jrum...@attlabs.att.com>
Subject Re: Multiple Developers using Tomcat
Date Tue, 24 Oct 2000 08:04:51 GMT
"HEDGER, Tim, FM" <Tim.HEDGER@rbos.com> writes:

> We've set up a single software installation of Tomcat, but have different
> developers running their own Tomcat process by supplying their own
> server.xml file with separate directories and ports lists for each
> developer.

We have a similar setup here, except that each developer has their own
machine, so we can use the same server.xml with the same port
settings.

The key is to get Tomcat to generate all its files in separate areas
for each developer. We use the /tmp directory, but if you have
separate server.xml files anyway, you could point them to the users'
home directory for example. If you are not using Apache with the
auto-configuration file, then it really doesn't matter if each
instance of Tomcat overwrites tomcat-apache.conf, but if you insist on
having the conf directory read-only, then you might be able to point
that somewhere else (I don't know how this would be done, as we allow
the file to be overwritten).

You should also make sure the log files (Logger elements of
server.xml) point to different places for each user.

--
Jason Rumney <jrumney@attlabs.att.com>
AT&T Labs (Redditch, UK)