tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Dave Harms <j...@clarionmag.com>
Subject Re: significance of root context
Date Sat, 14 Oct 2000 10:34:01 GMT
Anand,

> I am not able to understand the significance of root context .. Do i
> really need it if i have all the jsp's and servlets under a directory or
> a context

If you mean the root web app, it exists because any JSP or servlet has to
exist in a web app. If you like you can think of the ROOT web app as the
default web app. If you will absolutely never reference any URLs except
those in another web app you can dispense with ROOT, but attempts to
access any files outside your web apps will probably result in lengthy
delays while the browser waits for a response, since none is returned by
the server (at least in my tests). You're better off with an empty ROOT
web app, I think.

Dave

Dave Harms
jdev@clarionmag.com