tomcat-users mailing list archives

From kenneth topp <cau...@prodigy.net>
Subject Re: Servlet context and returned files
Date Mon, 09 Oct 2000 16:32:19 GMT

This is a browser/w3c issue.  There is no method to provide naming hints
on downloaded files at all.  The browser uses what it wants from the url,
and it's behavior is more observed, rather then defined :(

But, there is a solution, I'd recommend doing a URI mapping like:

/myservlet/* -> myServlet.  (this is standard web.xml fare)

And have your servlet instead of getParameter("name") use
  getRequestUri().substring("/myserlvet/".length(), getRequestUri().length() )

The url's will now be:

 /myservlet/MyFile.pdf

That way, the browser will use the filename, MyFile.pdf, and that's what
you want, no?

Kenneth Topp