tomcat-users mailing list archives

From kenneth topp <cau...@prodigy.net>
Subject Re: Logging library (was RE: System.out.println())
Date Fri, 06 Oct 2000 23:45:28 GMT

On Fri, 6 Oct 2000, Kitching Simon wrote:

> I thought I'd just insert a plug for an ultra-
> cool logging library I downloaded recently.
>
> log4j (http://sourceforge.net/projects/log4j) is
> really nice. It has a clean API from the end user
> perspective, and is *extremely* flexible in the
> way it can be configured at run-time.
>
> And (as you may have guessed from the name),
> it is (mostly) from IBM's alphaWorks team.
>
> Using a proper logging library is definitely better
> than just printing messages to a file (at least
> that's how I interpret this question..)

IBM has another logging package on alphaworks too.  log4j is nice, but you
cannot cycle log files, which is a must (IMHO).  Sun is coming out with
their logging API (jsr #47), and I don't think that tomcat is recommending
standalone just yet, so there isn't any real need to integrate yet another
package into tomcat.

Just my opinion.

Kenneth Topp