tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Kevin Sangeelee <ke...@susa.net>
Subject RE: Linux+Tomcat
Date Thu, 12 Oct 2000 20:30:16 GMT
On Thu, 12 Oct 2000, David Oxley wrote:

> ..And number 3, it is a rack mount and I cannot get access to it. What do I
> risk by installing without changing to single user mode and is runlevel 3
> the default?

You could manually stop all the services except networking by looking in
/etc/rc.d/rc3.d and running the appropriate scripts in /etc/rc.d/init.d
like /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb stop  etc., then after updating glibc just
telinit 3 (or shutdown -r now). The risks with updating shared libraries
on the fly like this is that you could break applications that are using
them. Stopping unneccessary services just reduces the risk. I've done this
upgrade at full runlevel 3 with no ill effects, but then my servers are
nearby.

> ..And for number 4. The current JVM 1.2.2 isn't on the path or classpath and
> I might want to add a JDBC driver to the classpath without putting it under
> webapps.

If I remember correctly, putting jars in $TOMCAT_HOME/lib will make them
available to all applications. I personally prefer to just replicate jars
across webapps, since it keeps them self contained.

Good luck!