tomcat-users mailing list archives

From hans-erik.skyttb...@boxer.se
Subject Re: Problems with Tomcat/Jserv on Solaris
Date Mon, 09 Oct 2000 14:14:45 GMT

Hi!

I have no problem running tomcat on Solaris 7 & 8, and compiling the
module.

Only thing needed is that when configuring apache for compilation you must
add two rules and they are the following:
--enable-rule=SHARED_CORE --enable-rule=SHARED_CHAIN

Now when compiling apache you can use modules plus compile jserv or mod_jk
with the apxs tool.

/Hans - Erik Skyttberg
Boxer TV Access AB
hans-erik.skyttberg@boxer.se
+46 (0)8 587 899 64
+46 (0)708 20 32 53

                    Ed Stafford

                    <dysan_3000@y        To:     tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org

                    ahoo.com>            cc:

                                         Subject:     Problems with Tomcat/Jserv on Solaris

                    2000-10-06

                    23:19

                    Please

                    respond to

                    tomcat-user

I've been trying to install Tomcat+Apache on a Sun
Solaris 7 system today.  Here's what I've gotten:

Using Tomcat 3.1-Stable:
 * Tomcat compiles without error
 * Jserv module fails to build.  I've performed:
  apxs -o mod_jserv.so -c *.c

and it returns with an error:
apxs:Break: Command failed with rc=-256

I did notice that the last line lacks a linker or
anthing. Here's the output of the last few lines:
gcc -DSOLARIS2=270 -DUSE_EXPAT -I../lib/expat-lite
-DNO_DL_NEEDED  -I/usr/local/apache/include  -c
jserv_wrapper_win.c
gcc -DSOLARIS2=270 -DUSE_EXPAT -I../lib/expat-lite
-DNO_DL_NEEDED  -I/usr/local/apache/include  -c
mod_jserv.c
  -o mod_jserv.so mod_jserv.o jserv_wrapper_win.o
jserv_wrapper_unix.o jserv_wrapper.o jserv_watchdog.o
jserv_utils.o jserv_status.o jserv_protocols.o
jserv_mmap.o jserv_image.o jserv_balance.o
jserv_ajpv12.o jserv_ajpv11.o autochange.o

As you can see, after mod_jserv.c compiles, and it
goes to compile it all into a library, it doesn't list
a linker.  On an x86 Linux machine, the exact same
thing works find with a 'gcc -shared ' before the -o.
I tried building it by hand by putting 'gcc ' before
the -o, but it complains about symbol errors, and
looks like it's trying to link to some apache library
which doesn't exist (or I don't know where the library
is).

I REALLY need help on this guys.  I know it's not the
latest and greatest build, but it's for a production
environment.  Here's the description of the installed
software on this system:

Solaris 7 Server
gcc 2.7.2.3
libstdc++