tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Jack Gavigan" <jack.gavi...@db.com>
Subject Re: setting up a web application in Tomcat under my home directory instead in the tomcat directory
Date Tue, 17 Oct 2000 09:33:41 GMT

Dharani,

What you should do is make a copy of the tomcat-apache.conf and call it something different,
like testweb.conf, for instance. Then edit it and change the Alias to point at the correct
location, and 'Include' testweb.conf in Apache's httpd.conf instead of tomcat-apache.conf.

I think this probably could be classed as a bug, but I don't think the Tomcat developers expected
people to rely fully upon the automatically-generated tomcat-apache.conf file. Certainly,
I and all the people I know who use it create our own.

Jack Gavigan

---------------------------------------- Message History ----------------------------------------

From: Dharani.Ramamoorthy@seagate.com on 16/10/2000 21:59

Please respond to tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org

To:   tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
cc:
Subject:  setting up a web application in Tomcat under my home directory instead in the tomcat
directory

Hi
I successfully setup web applications to work under tomcat webapps
directory. But I am interested in setting up a web application under my
home/user directroy. So I added a contex tag in the server.xml as .

 <Context path="/testweb" docBase="/home/testusr/napaweb" debug="0" reloadable="true" >
  </Context>

So when I stop and start tomcat and apache, a tomcat-apache.conf is automatically created
by Tomcat engine. That file contains the following lines.

Alias /testweb /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat/webapps/testweb
<Directory "/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat/webapps/testweb">
    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
</Directory>

Look at the alias tag. The path is generated as if my testapp web application is in the tomcat
webapps directory. Even though
I mentioned in the server.xml file my testapp path is in /home/testusr/napaweb, tomcat-apche.conf
created the Alias as
/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat/webapps/testweb.

How should I fix this problem. Is this a bug in tomcat or am I doing something incorrectly.

destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorised copying, disclosure or distribution of the material
in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.