tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Thom Park" <tp...@inprise.com>
Subject RE: contextAdmin vs. servlet.xml question
Date Wed, 18 Oct 2000 18:58:29 GMT
Thanks for the comments - I still am not clear on the following:

1. Does Tomcat *ever* overwrite the server.xml file?

 If I add a context progammatically using the contextAdmin servlet how do I
ensure that that the webapp is preserver beyond reboot of the Tomcat server.
Empyrical testing has shown me that it does not and that the only way I can
reliably add a web app to Tomcat is by editing the server.xml file.

The does bode the question of what is the point of contextAdmin? I'm not
using apache,iis or netscape and I really need to be able to place my
webapps in a directory other than %TOMCAT_HOME%\webapps

If I can be assured that the server.xml doesn't get changed on the fly, then
I can happily manage contexts buy adding them to server.xml - if not, then
I'm not sure how to go about it!

Any suggestions?

thanks,

Thom

-----Original Message-----
From: Dharani.Ramamoorthy@seagate.com
[mailto:Dharani.Ramamoorthy@seagate.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 18, 2000 7:43 AM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Re: contextAdmin vs. servlet.xml question

Hi,
I have the same problem but will little variation. I use tomcat 3.1 on a
redhat linux with Apache. I edit the server.xml tile to create a context
which is not under the tomcat directory  tree. When I start tomcat, a new
tomcat-apache.conf is recreated but this time the Alias for my web app is
pointing a directory underneath tomcat directory structure.
I manually edit the generated tomcat-apache.conf to fix the Alias to point
to the correct path and then restart Apache. But this is not the permanent
solution.

Few other people posted( See my post dated 10/16 subject: setting up a web
application in Tomcat under my home directory instead in the tomcat
hierarychy ) on the same issue but I didn't see any definitive relpy to
solve this problem.

Regards
Dharani R
Seagate