tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Kim soon il" <sunny...@hananet.net>
Subject [Apaceh + Tomcat User] How I can Modify the Default JVM Settings ???
Date Mon, 09 Oct 2000 03:01:28 GMT
	Hi Kind Tomcat User!
	How I can Modify the Default JVM Settings ???

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/jakarta-tomcat/src/doc/tomcat-ug.html#real_world_tips

Modify the Default JVM Settings
The default JVM settings in the tomcat script are very naive; everything is left for defaults.
There are a few things that you should consider to improve your Tomcat performance:

Modify your JVM memory configuration. Normally the JVM allocates an initial size for the Java
heap and that's it, if you need more then this amount of memory you will not get it.
Nevertheless, in loaded sites, giving more memory to the JVM improves Tomcat's performance.
You should use command line parameters such as -Xms/-Xmx/-ms/-mx to set the minimum/maximum
size of the Java heap (and check to see if the performance was improved).
Modify your JVM threading configuration. The SUN JDK1.2.2 for Linux comes with support for
both, green and native threads. In general native threads are known to provide improved performance
for I/O bound applications, green threads on the other hand put less stress on the machine.
You should experiment with these two threading models and see which model is better for your
site (in general, native threads are better).
Select the best JVM for the task. There are several JVM vendors, for example on Linux there
are today (21/03/2000) two product level JVMs: the SUN JDK1.2.2 and the IBM JDK1.1.8. If your
application does not require a specific JDK functionality, you should benchmark the two JVMs
and select the better one. In my (Gal Shachor) internal tests I found the IBM JVM significantly
faster than the one created by SUN, you should check that for yourself and make a calculated
decision.