tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Ed Gomolka" <egomo...@ausinfo.com>
Subject RE: java.awt package
Date Mon, 23 Oct 2000 20:26:54 GMT
This may be slightly different from your setup, but:

We have also been doing server-side imaging using the JDK1.1 image
functions.
Unless Tomcat is started within an Xterm, or via a DOS window in NT,
it won't automatically have a native system graphics context.
For example, if you start Tomcat via a telnet session, or at boot time via a
daemon, and
need to do some image manipulation, it won't have the graphics context, and
will
generate an exception.
Apparently, you can get around this by using the buffered image class,
which doesn't use the native graphics context,
or you can do what we did, namely, supply a graphics context.
We used Xvfb (X virtual frame buffer):

http://tmap.pmel.noaa.gov/home/ferret/FAQ/graphics/Xvfb.html
http://www.sunworld.com/sunworldonline/swol-03-2000/swol-03-xvfb.html