tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Ed Gomolka" <>
Subject Maximum Available Memory
Date Wed, 18 Oct 2000 18:08:54 GMT
I'm not sure to what extent this is a Tomcat question,
and to what extent it is a JVM question, but here goes...

We have a large client running Tomcat on Sun boxes.
They are in the enviable position of having 4 Gigs of memory on each box.
They tried to set the maximum memory using the -Xmx option, but they get an
when they go over 2047 Megs.

This leads me to a couple of questions:

1) 2047 Megs makes sense on a 32 bit operating system,
but I thought that Solaris was a 64 bit operating system,
so where does the 2047 Meg limitation come from?

2) I assume that I can create multiple Tomcat instances
(I haven't tried it yet), but are there pitfalls to doing this?
Also, if I have multiple instances of Tomcat, will that actually
let me get beyond the 2047 Meg limit in total,
or is there a hidden catch that prevents this?

Thanks in advance.

Ed Gomolka

View raw message