tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Charles Beckham" <charles.beck...@sun.com>
Subject RE: bad time with tomcat
Date Fri, 27 Oct 2000 06:28:55 GMT
try iPlanet Application Server....I love tomcat for dev and testing
however when my job is on the line....iPlanet App Server..

Cheers

Charles Beckham

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Emenaker [mailto:joe@emenaker.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 26, 2000 11:21 PM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Re: bad time with tomcat

>     At this point, tomcat is the least stable component in our
> environment.

Tomcats are usually pretty unstable until you get them fixed. (sorry,
couldn't help myself)

> Tomcat will die on us regularly without giving any
> hint as to why,

If you're not getting an exception, then I'd suspect some problem with
the JVM. Are you using Sun's JDK or are you using something else?

I can't recall every seeing Java just die without calling System.exit().
So, either Tomcat is calling exit(), or the JDK is dying somehow. What
you might want to do, if you have the tomcat source, is to recompile it
after searching for every System.exit() and replacing it with something
that opens a file in /tmp and writes something like "Now taking offramp
#xyz" where "xyz" would be a number that's unique to each exit(). This
should be easy to do in perl.

Alternatively, tomcat probably doesn't have very many occurences of
System.exit(). In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if there were only
one... wrapped inside some method that closes up all of the open files,
closes all sockets, etc. If that's the case, you might be able to just
dump a stacktrace to a file somewhere.

Also, make sure that whatever script you're using to launch tomcat is
redirecting stdout AND stderr to some file that you can check. That way,
if tomcat itself is generating any exceptions, you'll probably see them
in that file. Also, make sure that you're checking *all* of your log
files. Tomcat lets you log different events to different files. Do
something that makes it crash and then do a "ls -lt | more" everywhere
where you think there might be a tomcat log... see what the freshest
file is.... that will probably have tomcat's last utterance before it
went off the edge of the world.

> Id love to
> hear from anyone who is having more success with Tomcat

Unfortunately for you, that sounds like just about everybody. :)

Hope this helps...

- Joe