tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Sandy McPherson" <allse...@webmind.nl>
Subject RE: Basic question: How do I get the equivolent of console messages for Tomcat?
Date Mon, 02 Oct 2000 08:03:56 GMT
They go to stdout and stderr which means that unless you redirect the output
to a file they go to the tty from which tomcat was started.

On Linux/UNIX

tomcat.sh start > $TOMCAT_HOME/logs/system.out 2>
$TOMCAT_HOME/logs/system.out

or something along those lines. If you want to view it as it is written do

tail -f $TOMCAT_HOME/logs/system.out

Can't help you on Win32, sorry (unless of course you have cygwin32!)

-----Original Message-----
From: tomcat-user-return-12196-allsetbv=webmind.nl@jakarta.apache.org
[mailto:tomcat-user-return-12196-allsetbv=webmind.nl@jakarta.apache.org]
On Behalf Of Gerard Monsen
Sent: Monday, October 02, 2000 7:48 AM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Basic question: How do I get the equivolent of console messages
for Tomcat?

        Hi!  Basic question:  I just compiled a rather complicated
servlet and tried to test it out using Tomcat.  Unfortunately, it
doesn't load up, which I'm not suprised about.  How do I get
the equivolent of console messages for Tomcat.  In other words,
where do Exception reports get dumped to and where can I
see the results of System.out.println() debugging messages that
I might place in my program?
       I tried the "servlet.log" file, but all it says is:

Context log path ="/TestServlet" :tomcat.errorPage: init

      I assume this means that servlet bombed out on loading
up, but how do I get the exception information so that I
can fix whatever caused the servlet not to load?

Gerard Monsen
Oakland, CA