tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Renee Petris <re...@loudeye.com>
Subject Getting tomcat to instantiate an instance of a servlet after fail ed initialization attemp
Date Mon, 02 Oct 2000 06:01:04 GMT
I have a servlet that attempts to connect to a remote service during the
init method. If the remote service is unavailable, the servlet throws a
ServletException. If I then fix the problem, i.e. make the service
available, and retry the servlet, Tomcat doesn't try to re-instantiate the
servlet. I've checked this by putting a println statement in the init
method. I have to restart Tomcat to get the servlet to start. According to
the servlet spec, the servlet container may instantiate a new instance at
any time after a failed initialization attempt unless the servlet threw an
UnavailableException. Is there a way to make tomcat attempt to
re-instantiate the servlet?

Renée Petris
Overseer of the Execution
Loudeye Technologies