tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Amrhein, Thomas" <>
Subject AW: JNDI Under Tomcat 3.2, jdk1.3
Date Fri, 27 Oct 2000 06:31:04 GMT

I use Tomcat 3.2 and jdk1.2.2.
The Application Server is Voyager and I have to use some .jar-files
They have to be put in Tomcat's Classpath (Tomcat_Home/lib/).
The problem: I can not use this within classes from a web application
I don't know why. Seems to be a classpath problem.

Put all your classes included the classes of the web_app, which try
Context.lookup() in tomcat_home/lib or tomcat_home/classes and
the lookup works fine.

Hope this helps.

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
Von: David Harris []
Gesendet am: Freitag, 27. Oktober 2000 00:15
An: Tomcat-User (E-mail)
Betreff: JNDI Under Tomcat 3.2, jdk1.3

Has anyone experienced problems with the Context.lookup() function in a web
application running under Tomcat 3.2 with jdk1.3 ?
My problem is that the object returned is of type java.naming.reference, so
it cannot be cast into the correct class. I do not get this behaviour when I
run the same code as a console application. I think it must be something to
do with the classloaders and/or the class path or the use of object
factories which I do not fully understand yet.
JRun 3.0 behaves the same way, however Tomcat 3.1 does not have this
any ideas?
David Harris - Software Engineer
Activ Australia Pty Ltd
Level 3, 168 Day Street SYDNEY NSW 2000
Tel +61 2 9284 4250 Fax +61 2 9284 4242 <>

View raw message