tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Sam Palanisamy <SPalanis...@manage.com>
Subject Need Help: Tomcat 4.0 M3, Transfer Encoding: Chunked, IE 5.5 => I E hangs!!
Date Thu, 26 Oct 2000 02:32:32 GMT
Hello friends,

I am trying to port our web application from Tomcat 3.1 (standalone) to
Tomcat 4.0 m3 (standalone) on NT platform (4.0 SP5). I ran into a problem
displaying HTML generated by one of our JSP files using IE 5.5. Same file
worked without any problem in Tomcat 3.1. Interestingly, the file displays
properly using Netscape Communicator 4.75! In viewing the HTML source of the
JSP page in IE 5.5, I noticed that Tomcat 4.0 was sending the following HTML
code:

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 01:49:52 GMT
Server: Apache Tomcat/4.0-dev (HTTP/1.1 Connector)
Transfer-Encoding: chunked
<blank-line>
1537
<6 blank lines>
<rest of HTML generated by my JSP page>
<blank line>
0

Apparently, it seems like IE 5.5 has trouble handling Transfer-Encoding:
chunked. Is it possible to avoid this problem from the server side? Is there
any setting I can make in Tomcat so that it can either

1. not send the HTML in chunked mode (or)
2. send the response as HTTP/1.0 instead of HTTP/1.1?

I found both of the above suggestions from tomcat-user archives.

Also, when IE stalled, if I click on stop and then refresh, the page gets
displayed properly.

I appreciate any help/pointers in either avoiding/fixing this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Sam Palanisamy
Manage.com