tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christian Mack <cm...@spcie.de>
Subject RE: java.net.BindException
Date Mon, 16 Oct 2000 18:20:08 GMT
Hi Paul

This is obviusly because the VM does some finalization stuff before shutting
down.

Tschau
Christian

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Hoepfner-Homme [mailto:paulh@oven.com]
Sent: Monday, October 16, 2000 7:17 PM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Re: java.net.BindException

It means that the port that you're trying to run the Tomcat server on is
already in use by another process.  Likely, this is because your previous
instance Tomcat is still running.  When you shut down Tomcat, make sure that
the Tomcat JVM is actually finished and not still running when you check
your processes.  If it is still running, try shutting it down again.

I personally have to shut down Tomcat three times before it actually is shut
down.  Then I can start it again without getting that bind exception.  (I
still have no idea why I have to do this.)

-p

Georges Boutros wrote:

hi,
sometimes when i try to restart tomcat i get this error message :
does anyone have a clue what it might be
thanks

FATAL: java.net.BindException: Address in use: bind
java.net.BindException: Address in use: bind
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketBind(Native Method)
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.bind(PlainSocketImpl.java:390)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.<init>(ServerSocket.java:173)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.net.DefaultServerSocketFactory.createSocket(DefaultServerS

ocketFactory.java:103)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.service.SimpleTcpEndpoint.startEndpoint(SimpleTcpEndpoint.

java:188)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.service.SimpleTcpConnector.start(SimpleTcpConnector.java:1

40)
        at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.start(ContextManager.java,
Compiled Code)
        at org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat.execute(Tomcat.java:124)
        at org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat.main(Tomcat.java:130)

--

Paul Hoepfner-Homme

paulh@oven.com

OVEN Digital |  http://www.oven.com/ <http://www.oven.com/>