tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christian Mack <cm...@spcie.de>
Subject RE: tomcat load crash
Date Mon, 16 Oct 2000 18:05:06 GMT
Hi Alistair Hopkins

This is an OS problem.
You have to increase the number of concurrent open files allowed by the OS.
How to do this depends on the OS you use.

Tschau
Christian

 -----Original Message-----
From: Alistair Hopkins [mailto:alistair@berthengron.co.uk]
Sent: Friday, October 13, 2000 3:42 PM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: tomcat load crash

Using a very simple cmd line load test tool, I put the number of concurrent
users on my server up to 40 and got

java.net.SocketException: Too many open files in system
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.accept(PlainSocketImpl.java, Compiled
Code)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.implAccept(ServerSocket.java, Compiled
Code)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.accept(ServerSocket.java, Compiled Code)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.service.PoolTcpEndpoint.acceptSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java,
Compiled Code)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpWorkerThread.run(PoolTcpEndpoint.java, Compiled
Code)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java,
Compiled Code)
Endpoint ServerSocket[addr=0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0,port=0,localport=8007] shutdown
due to exception: java.net.SocketException: Too many open files in system

at which point there were only 500's.

There was plenty of memory & cpu left on the server.

What would cause this, and how can I avoid it?