tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: catalina.sh IS tomcat.sh ?
Date Mon, 30 Oct 2000 17:49:26 GMT
mike niemaz wrote:

> I'm updating jakarta to 4.0 and i noticed
> that some scripts (and more?) has disapeared,
> which can be quiet crtitical since I had modified
> some ...
> So is catalina sh script the old tomcat.sh?

For the purposes of starting up Tomcat 4.0, this is correct -- use
catalina.sh or catalina.bat instead of tomcat.sh / tomcat.bat.

The reasoning for the name change is that it is now possible to separate
the servlet container out from the rest of Tomcat (i.e. Turbine, for
example, packages the servlet container part without the JSP engine).

Tomcat == Servlets + JSP.

> Any more noticeable diffs?

Quite a few.  One of the primary reasons that Tomcat 4.0 is still
"pre-alpha" is (incomplete or missing) documentation -- the code quality
is getting there :-).

Interesting differences:

* No web connectors yet, only runs stand alone
  (this is being actively worked on).

* Tomcat 4.0 supports the new servlet 2.3 and JSP 1.2
  specifications.

* Details of the server.xml configuration file format are
  subtly different, although the basic idea of defining a
  <Context> entry for each web app is still there.

* Server internals are completely different.  This has two
  fairly visible effects:

  - Anything you have currently implemented with
    RequestInterceptor will need to be re-implemented
    with Valve.

  - Users who embed Tomcat (with the EmbededTomcat
    class) will need to use the new
    org.apache.catalina.startup.Embedded class instead.

> Thanx,
>
> --mike

Craig McClanahan