tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <>
Subject Re: WEB-INF/lib
Date Wed, 25 Oct 2000 10:26:13 GMT
Kitching Simon wrote:

> Hi Ted,
> This functionality works fine in tomcat3.1.
> I (and many others on this email list) use
> this without problems. I am sure that tomcat3.2
> also does this, as this behaviour is defined in
> sun's servlet specification.
> The files should be in application/WEB-INF/lib.
> Tomcat *does* add these to its classpath
> automatically.

Just as a slight clarification, I would describe it this way:  "the classes
under WEB-INF/classes, or in JAR files under WEB-INF/lib, are made visible to
the web application that contains them."  They are not actually added to the
CLASSPATH environment variable, because that is global to all web applications.

> Note that only ".jar" files will be added; files
> with the suffix ".zip" get ignored. And don't
> forget that if you're using unix, then case
> is important..
> Regards,
> Simon

Craig McClanahan