tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: tomcat 3.x vs. tomcat 4.x
Date Sun, 22 Oct 2000 10:01:23 GMT
uoft none wrote:

> What is the history of split between tomcat 3.x and
> tomcat 4.x? I think 4.x is not an evolution of 3.x.
> Are these two code streams going to be developed
> independently? What is the Catalina angle and where
> does it come from?

The "Catalina" code (which comprises the servlet container portion of
Tomcat 4.0 -- Jasper is the JSP portion) is based on code that was going
to become Apache JServ 2.0, prior to the announcement by Sun that Tomcat
was being contributed to the Apache Software Foundation.  As such, it
has essentially zero code in common with the servlet container portion
of Tomcat 3.2 -- you can consider it a complete rewrite based on lessons
learned from both Apache JServ and Tomcat 3.x.

In addition, Tomcat 4.0 already supports nearly all of the features of
the current draft version of the Servlet 2.3 spec, and most of the
features of the JSP 1.2 draft spec.

> Thanks
> u!

Craig McClanahan