tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: Why there are two apache servlets projects?
Date Fri, 20 Oct 2000 22:18:45 GMT
Christian Rauh wrote:

> The next question I pose is: how hard it is to eventually port the
> applications from JServ to Apache? I believe none due to backward
> compatibility, but is this really happening?

Depending on which features of the Servlet 2.0 API that you depend on, the
changes could range from straightforward (just update the configuration stuff) to
"it is time to rewrite" (if you fundamentally depend on something like
ServletContext.getServlet(), which no longer does anything useful in the 2.1,
2.2, or 2.3 APIs.  Note that none of this is specific to migrating to Tomcat --
the ability to configure a web application is common to *all* servlet containers
that implement the 2.2 or 2.3 specifications.

Migration is the subject of a talk that I am giving at ApacheCon Europe in London
next Tuesday.  The slides for this will be posted for those unable to attend.

> Christian Rauh
> Newtrade

Craig McClanahan

                                    Applications to Tomcat