tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: contextAdmin vs. servlet.xml question
Date Wed, 18 Oct 2000 18:59:35 GMT
Thom Park wrote:

> Thanks for the comments - I still am not clear on the following:
>
> 1. Does Tomcat *ever* overwrite the server.xml file?
>
>  If I add a context progammatically using the contextAdmin servlet how do I
> ensure that that the webapp is preserver beyond reboot of the Tomcat server.
> Empyrical testing has shown me that it does not and that the only way I can
> reliably add a web app to Tomcat is by editing the server.xml file.
>
> The does bode the question of what is the point of contextAdmin? I'm not
> using apache,iis or netscape and I really need to be able to place my
> webapps in a directory other than %TOMCAT_HOME%\webapps
>
> If I can be assured that the server.xml doesn't get changed on the fly, then
> I can happily manage contexts buy adding them to server.xml - if not, then
> I'm not sure how to go about it!
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> thanks,
>
> Thom

There is no current support in Tomcat (3.x or 4.x) for writing out the contents
of server.xml on the fly.  Such a capability could be added later, of course,
but it's not a trivial exercise -- primarily because Tomcat makes no attempt to
maintain a current representation of the entire server.xml file after it has
been read at startup time.

Volunteers are of course welcome to take up the challenge of adding this kind of
functionality.

Craig McClanahan

                                    Applications to Tomcat