tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Paul Hoepfner-Homme <>
Subject Re: <url-pattern> only works with Tomcat HTTP server, not Apache
Date Mon, 16 Oct 2000 21:27:28 GMT
Ok, I'll reply to my own message.

I think I know why Apache isn't recognizing the servlet mappings that I
have set up in web.xml:  it's because tomcat-apache.conf (the
automatically-generated conf file for mod_jserv) doesn't tell Apache
anything about it.  All tomcat-apache.conf has is context mounts, it
doesn't take care of setting up what you have defined in your web.xml
files.  Apparently the same is true if you're using mod_jk, or so it seems
from reading previous posts in the mailing list archive.  (I haven't
actually been able to try it with mod_jk since there are no decent setup
instructions for it -- please enlighten me if you have found some.)

So, now that I have got that straight, I still don't know what other
directives I have to add to httpd.conf so that URLs starting with

are redirected to the servlet called '' (just an
example) of the /webmail context.

If there is documentation on how to do this with mod_jserv, please point me
to it.  Otherwise, do any of you have any hints?

Paul Hoepfner-Homme wrote:

> I know this topic has been posted before, because I read about it in the
> list archives, but the problem still remains unsolved.  It's seems like
> such a basic thing too, and I'm surprised I haven't found an answer yet.
> I have Tomcat 3.2 beta 6 installed on Red Hat 6.1, working with Apache
> (Apache is configured by including the tomcat-apache.conf file).  I have
> the context /webmail set up, which works fine when I try to call a
> servlet this way:
> But I don't want my users to have to call up the page that way because
> it's too long.  Instead I want users to call it this way:
> So I edited web.xml (found in $TOMCAT_HOME/webapps/webmail/WEB-INF) and
> gave my servlet the url-mapping of *.  I've verified that it works with
> the Tomcat HTTP server by calling the URL
> and it displays to correct content.  But when I try to access
>, Apache displays a "not found" error.
> Why does this happen and how do I fix it?
> Thanks for any suggestions,
> Paul
> --
> Paul Hoepfner-Homme