tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Paul Hoepfner-Homme <pa...@oven.com>
Subject <url-pattern> only works with Tomcat HTTP server, not Apache
Date Mon, 16 Oct 2000 20:01:49 GMT
I know this topic has been posted before, because I read about it in the
list archives, but the problem still remains unsolved.  It's seems like
such a basic thing too, and I'm surprised I haven't found an answer yet.

I have Tomcat 3.2 beta 6 installed on Red Hat 6.1, working with Apache
(Apache is configured by including the tomcat-apache.conf file).  I have
the context /webmail set up, which works fine when I try to call a
servlet this way:

    http://my.server.com/webmail/servlet/package.name.ClassName

But I don't want my users to have to call up the page that way because
it's too long.  Instead I want users to call it this way:

    http://my.server.com/webmail

So I edited web.xml (found in $TOMCAT_HOME/webapps/webmail/WEB-INF) and
gave my servlet the url-mapping of *.  I've verified that it works with
the Tomcat HTTP server by calling the URL

    http://my.server.com:8080/webmail

and it displays to correct content.  But when I try to access
http://my.server.com/webmail, Apache displays a "not found" error.

Why does this happen and how do I fix it?

Thanks for any suggestions,
Paul

--
Paul Hoepfner-Homme