tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: [Tomcat4] Migrating from M1 -> M2 - Issues & solutions
Date Tue, 10 Oct 2000 17:41:08 GMT
Vincent Deconinck wrote:

>         I encountered two problems migrating from Tomcat 4.0 M1 to M2, and
> maybe this could avoid people a little hair loss :
>
>         First, for some unknown reason, my web.xml was wrong, probably for
> months, but TC4 M1 didn't complain about it (btw, TC3.2 didn't either) :
> <session-config> was before <context-param> and it should have been
> after. Now, it seems the parser in M2 is less fault-tolerant... So if
> you get a parse error on startup, check the order first.

What actually happened is that I *thought* I had told M1 to validate the web.xml
files, but I did not provide a SAX error handler, so all the validation errors were
getting ignored.  :-)

M2 now validates the web.xml file *and* reports violations.

>         Second, as TC4 looks for jars in the lib directory instead of using the
> classpath, I had moved the necessary files there and simply renamed .zip
> files to .jar for M1, and it worked. For M2, though, all I got was an
> "IllegalArgumentException: addRepositoryInternal:
> java.lang.NullPointerException
> at org.apache.catalina.loader.StandardClassLoader.addRepositoryInternal(
> StandardClassLoader.java, Compiled Code)"... So before migrating to M2,
> unzip all your zips and jar them up.

Question for the community -- does this happen on all ZIPs or just some of them?
Also, it would be helpful if you could send the stack trace from this error.

>         Just my 0.50 BEF :-). Hope it helps.

I guess that's close enough to US$0.02 to listen :-).

>                 Vincent.

Craig

                                    Applications to Tomcat