tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 4 problems (with JDK1.3 and some dtd)
Date Sat, 07 Oct 2000 04:37:41 GMT
"Proetel, Ingo" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just tried to use Tomcat 4 but I ran into two problems:
>
> 1. I'm using it on jdk1.3 and it kept complaining that it did not find
> sun.tools.javac.Main. I found out that sun renamed the package to
> com.sun.tools.javac.Main.
> Is there a better way to fix this than just putting a jdk1.2.2 tools.jar
> into the classpath ?

In my two 1.3 environments (Linux with the 1.3 FCS release, and Windows98), the
Tomcat 4.0 milestone 1 release worked out of the box -- including being able to
compile and run JSP pages.  Looking inside the tools.jar file, I see that
"sun.tools.javac.Main" still exists.

What platform (OS and JDK) are you running?

> 2. While parsing some xml files (actually one of the web.xml files that come
> with tomcat) it says that it can not find
> http://java.sun.com/j2ee/dtds/web-app_2_3.dtd. I confirmed this and found
> that http://java.sun.com/j2ee/dtds/web-app_2.2.dtd exists. Is it save to
> change this link in the web.xml paths ?

This is very strange.

Tomcat 4.0 includes an internal copy of the 2.3 DTD, which is registered with
the parser so that it doesn't try to go out to the network (the official 2.3 DTD
won't be published until the spec goes final).  All of the webapps that ship
with 4.0-m1 use the correct DTD public identifiers, so the local copy should be
used.  And it does so, out of the box, on my two 1.3 environments.

In general, it is not safe to switch back to the 2.2 feature if you are using
any of the new 2.3 features like filters or application event listeners (as does
the "examples" webapp in 4.0-m1).

Did you change anything about the standard startup scripts?  Is there anything
in your $JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/ext directory that might mess up the XML parser being
used (Xerces is included with Tomcat 4.0-m1 and it's required at the moment).?

What we need to do is figure out what is different about your environment that
affects the operation of Tomcat.

> Thanks
> ingo

Craig