tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <Craig.McClana...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: context for ~user directories?
Date Wed, 04 Oct 2000 16:39:01 GMT
James Cribb wrote:

> Erik Sabowski wrote:
> >
> > is there a context path that can be put in the server.xml file so that each
> > of the users on our network can have their own app in their public_html
> > directory? basically i'm just wondering if there is some way to do it
> > without having to add a context path for each individual user...
>
> Lots of us have been asking that question.  I'll now go out on a limb
> and say, no, it can't be done, you have to manually edit server.xml each
> time a new user is added to the system.  I'd love to be proved wrong.
> (I'm talking about Tomcat 3.1, I don't know about the beta versions.)

Tomcat 4.0 has such a gadget -- it can scan all the user home directories listed
in /etc/passwd (options exist to do other things as well) and add webapps for
those that have a "public_html" directory that looks like a webapp.  This is done
by adding a listener inside the <Host> declaration in
$CATALINA_HOME/conf/server.xml:

    <Host name="localhost" ...>
        <Listener className="org.apache.catalina.startup.UserConfig"/>
    </Host>

I don't believe Tomcat 3.1 or 3.2 has such a tool -- although it would be
possible to write one in either environment usting the context interceptor
architecture.

Craig McClanahan

                                    Applications to Tomcat