tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Kitching Simon <Simon.Kitch...@orange.ch>
Subject RE: Why there are two apache servlets projects?
Date Thu, 19 Oct 2000 17:47:10 GMT
Christian,

I have no "inside knowledge", as I am a fairly recent
convert to tomcat (a few months), but as I understand it,
JServ was Apache's first servlet engine, and was
actively developed up to servlet specification 2.0.

When the servlet2.1 spec came out, the Apache JServ people
realised that the time had come to completely rearchitect
the design, as happens from time to time with any product.
Rather than continue to call the product "JServ", they
decided to call their reimplementation "tomcat".

Many of the same programmers who worked on JServ
also contributed/are contributing to tomcat; also, Sun
decided that a quality open-source implementation of their
servlet specification was a good thing, so Sun contributed
a bunch of existing code towards tomcat, as well as assigning
some Sun developers to help work on tomcat.

JServ still runs fine, and continues to be maintained, but is
unlikely to ever move to a more modern version of the servlet
spec than it currently supports. Basically, it has been
replaced by tomcat.

Disclaimer: This is just what I have picked up from
reading & being involved in the email groups. No
guaruntees as to the accuracy of any of the above..

Regards,

Simon