tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Kitching Simon <Simon.Kitch...@orange.ch>
Subject RE: Pb with session
Date Thu, 19 Oct 2000 16:21:45 GMT

	[Kitching Simon]
	Hmm, yes I see.

	If a browser requests a URL, and gets back a page containing
	relative paths in it (eg to jsp files, or anchors/links), then the
	browser is going to resolve those relative paths into absolute
	paths before issuing a request to the web server; the browser
	will use the *original* URL to resolve these relative paths with,
	because it doesn't know that the original URL actually did an
	internal forward operation.

	This is not too bad if a jsp is called via only one controlling
	servlet, because all urls in the jsp can be set to be relative
	to the calling servlet. But if a jsp can be called from multiple
	controlling servlets, it has a problem.

	Is there a method that returns the original URL that the
	calling browser requested, even if the request has been
	forwarded? If so, then everywhere you output a path in
	a jsp, you could call a function which converts from
	relative-to-jsp into relative-to-original-url. However, this
	really isn't a nice solution.

	This kind of thing is going to occur all the time when using the
	MVC approach for designing websites. I wonder how STRUTS
	solves this problem?

	Interesting....