tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Kitching Simon <Simon.Kitch...@orange.ch>
Subject RE: Netscape history list
Date Thu, 19 Oct 2000 10:55:09 GMT
Hi,

I think that Andreas misunderstood your question.

Andreas is talking about how to prevent your
browser, or intermediate proxies, from cacheing
pages. This is indeed a useful thing to do, but
has nothing to do with controlling what pages
are accessable from the "back" button of
a browser, or what happens when a page in
the middle of your site gets "bookmarked"
(at least as far as I know).

I have looked very hard at how to prevent
pages from being accessable via the "back"
button of a browser, or being bookmarked,
but found no way at all to do this. As far
as I can see, there are the following options:

(a) track the current page in the session,
as recommended by another reply. Then
if the user *does* use the back button,
you present them with an error page. They
will soon learn not to use the back button
on your site!

(b) when user connects to your site, create
a "child window" which your site actually
runs in. This child window can be created
without a normal toolbar, ie there is no
back button to click. The disadvantage is
that the original browser window with your
site's first page remains in the background.

Cheers,

Simon