tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Kitching Simon <Simon.Kitch...@orange.ch>
Subject RE: Please Help: Tomcat.policy files (security issue)
Date Thu, 19 Oct 2000 08:59:56 GMT
Hi Ann,

I didn't quite understand your problem description.

I'll have a go at guessing the solution, but if this
isn't what you were looking for, you may need to
post your question again after rewriting it a bit..

I think that you are either:
(a) loading an applet from tomcat, then trying
to use that applet to communicate to some other
computer, or
(b) loading an applet from some webserver, then
using that applet to talk to a servlet running
within tomcat.

In either case, special java security permissions
will be needed to allow the applet to make
the outbound connection (because applets
are only allowed to talk to the serving host
by default).

However, **this is nothing to do with tomcat at all**.

The security permissions you need are for the
applet, not the webserver. As far as I know (I've
never done this) you need to build a jar file for the
applet, including a security permissions file that
grants permission to create sockets, then sign
this jar file.

Regards,

Simon