tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Kitching Simon <Simon.Kitch...@orange.ch>
Subject Tomcat 3.1 : java.io.IOException: No such file or directory
Date Wed, 18 Oct 2000 08:49:00 GMT
Hi All,

I am stuck with a very frustrating problem & would really appreciate
any suggestions you might have.

I am getting an intermittent problem with tomcat 3.1 (HPUX, JDK1.2.2),
with tomcat in "stand-alone" mode (no apache, etc). We are using a
thread pool connector to handle http requests, and our browser client
is IE4.0 on WindowsNT.

An exception is occurring inside tomcat, but I don't know why. I suspect
that it is actually something in our code, because it only occurs on some
particular pages, but the line of code that actually generates the exception

(1338) is the out.flush() command inserted by tomcat...

        } finally {
            out.flush();
            _jspxFactory.releasePageContext(pageContext);
        }

It looks like the socket to the client has somehow been closed, so that when
tomcat tries to flush the page to the client, the socket isn't valid. But we
certainly don't stuff around with the "out" writer in any abnormal way.

The problem is *not* the browser being closed during access to the page.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The exception we see in tomcat.log is:

<pre>
javax.servlet.ServletException: No such file or directory
        at org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:375)
        at
        at
        at
onnectionHandler.java:160)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpWorkerThread.run(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:366)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:411)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:479)
</pre>
<b>Root cause:</b>
<pre>
java.io.IOException: No such file or directory
        at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite(Native Method)
        at java.net.SocketOutputStream.write(SocketOutputStream.java:75)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.service.http.HttpResponseAdapter.sendStatus(HttpResponseAd
apter.java:141)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.service.http.HttpResponseAdapter.endHeaders(HttpResponseAd
apter.java:111)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.core.BufferedServletOutputStream.sendHeaders(BufferedServl
etOutputStream.java:127)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.core.BufferedServletOutputStream.reallyFlush(BufferedServl
etOutputStream.java:239)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ResponseImpl.flushBuffer(ResponseImpl.java:330)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.core.HttpServletResponseFacade.flushBuffer(HttpServletResp
onseFacade.java:235)
        at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspWriterImpl.flush(JspWriterImpl.java:195)
        at
htd_00025cs._0002fhtdocs_0002folaAccountSearch_0002ejspolaAccountSearch_jsp_
0._jspService(_0002fhtdocs_0002folaAccountSea
rch_0002ejspolaAccountSearch_jsp_0.java:1338)
        at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:126)
        at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.service(JspServlet.ja
va:174)
        at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:261)
        at org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:369)
        at
        at
        at
onnectionHandler.java:160)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpWorkerThread.run(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:366)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:411)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:479)
</pre>

Thanks,

Simon