tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Kitching Simon <Simon.Kitch...@orange.ch>
Subject RE: Performance
Date Wed, 04 Oct 2000 13:48:19 GMT

	[Kitching Simon]

	Note: everything here refers to tomcat3.1. I understand that
	3.2 does things a little different, and 4.0 does them a lot
	different.

	These issues are addressed in the "real world configuration tips"
	section of the tomcat3.1 user guide. It's pretty brief, but there
	aren't a whole lot of things that need to be done. And what
	the best settings are depends on the web application itself.
	Read the user guide, make a first guess at the settings. This
	will certainly improve the situation over the defaults. After that,
	you really need to do some testing on your app.

	We use Rational load test, it works fairly well but is expensive.
	Perhaps Apache JMeter could be useful...

	I've set up a thread pool of 60 threads, and that looks
	like it is about right for serving simple jsp pages to 300
	users hammering it like mad (ie our load test going flat-out).

	The test setup is tomcat3.1 on HPUX11.00, 4-processor
	PA-RISC2 450 with 1.5GB ram...

	When we've finished our testing, I'll post some conclusions
	to this group about the stability of tomcat3.1. Currently, we're
	getting some problems but haven't pinned down whether it is
	tomcat's fault or not.

	Cheers,

	Simon