tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Kitching Simon <Simon.Kitch...@orange.ch>
Subject RE: Problem with session -- Each Time creating new session, inste ad of existing one
Date Wed, 04 Oct 2000 08:22:19 GMT
Hi,

Sessions are identified by cookies (normally, anyway).
The way a web server tells a browser to set a cookie is to send an http
command
in the *header* of the returned data.

If you look at the documentation for pageContext.include(....), which I
guess is what
you are using to execute your servlet from within you jsp file, you will see
that the
specification *requires* tomcat to flush the output buffer (including all
http headers)
to the client before invoking the included servlet or jsp page.

The implication is that no included page can ever set a header attribute,
including
cookies. Your servlet code is indirectly calling response.setCookie, which
is calling
response.setHeader(....) but the header info has already gone gone gone....

It seems to me that an IllegalStateException really should be generated if
you
ever try to set a cookie after the response has been flushed, but this
doesn't seem
to happen. In my experience it just gets ignored.

I think the solution in your case is to separate your servlet into a *bean*
and a
trivial servlet-wrapper that invokes the bean. You can then include the same
bean into your jsp page with a <jsp:useBean> command, and call it directly.
Because you are *not* doing an include, the response buffer doesn't get
flushed
and (hopefully) your create session call request.getSession(true) (ie
addCookie call)
will then take effect.

Hope this helps (and hope it is right, part of it is just guessing....)

Simon