tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christoph Kukulies <k...@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
Subject Re: HELP: tomact.sh[3.1]+FreeBSD ok on command line but not on boot
Date Thu, 12 Oct 2000 16:02:37 GMT
On Thu, Oct 12, 2000 at 05:46:52PM +0100, Paul Sharpe wrote:
> tomcat.sh works which works fine from the command line but not from
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d on boot
>
> I'm capturing everything from STDOUT and STDERR for
>
>   /usr/local/jdk1.1.8/bin/java  -Dtomcat.home=/usr/local/tomcat org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat
start

> on boot and comparing it to what I get when I start Tomcat after boot.
> The environment diffs from the two scenarios look innocuous (notably
> $CLASSPATH is identical) i.e.
>
>   7a8
>   > OLDPWD=/root
>   10a12
>   > _=/usr/local/etc/rc.d/tomcat.sh
>   11a14
>   > TERM=xterm
>
> However on boot java seems to just stop loading classes (I'm running
> with -verbose) at an arbitrary point.  Not only that but the point at
> which it stops is different from one reboot to the next!
>
>   su-2.03# wc -l javawrapper.log.*
>        145 javawrapper.log.bad.1
>        158 javawrapper.log.bad.2
>        171 javawrapper.log.bad.3
>        127 javawrapper.log.bad.4
>        290 javawrapper.log.ok
>        891 total
>
> Can anyone explain this?
>
> Tomcat 3.1
> FreeBSD junodev 3.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE #0
> JDK 1.1.8

I can confirm this phenomenon under FreeBSD 5.0-current of
yesterday. My /usr/local/etc/rc.d/apache.sh looks
like:

#!/bin/sh
export JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/jdk1.1.8
/usr/local/build/tomcat/bin/startup.sh
sleep 3
/usr/local/sbin/apachectl start

(You see the defensive sleep3 there, but still I have to do a tomcat
start by hand after reboot).