tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Pierre Métras <>
Subject Tomcat setup permissions under linux
Date Wed, 25 Oct 2000 04:10:37 GMT
Hi all,

I want to test my application in a deployment context and try it under

I have set up a new PC with linux Debian 2.2, Sun JRE 1.3 and Tomcat 3.2B6.
When I untar the tomcat bin file, in the "/usr/local" directory, I noticed
that all files where owned by a user "500" and group "500". I checked in the
"/etc/passwd" that there's no user with id 500, so I choose to change the
property of all tomcat files and directories to "root.staff".

Now I created a "myapp" user that will own the application files, and I
don't want to give it access to root rights.

If I try to start tomcat from the "myapp" login, I obtain screenfull of
errors because tomcat can't access the "logs" and "work" directories. And
effectively, these directories are not created as they are on my development

Here come the questions:
[1] What should be tomcat files and directories permissions to allow access
to different users, under "/usr/local"? Must I run tomcat once as root to
create the missing directories and create initialization files?
[2] How should I start tomcat to give it the rights of some specific users
(and not root)? If I have two different users, should I need to start two
instances of tomcat?

Perhaps these are more linux questions and I'm not an expert in that field
but I want to setup my application with the right level of security on that
Thanks for your help.

Pierre Métras

View raw message