tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Pierre Métras <gen...@sympatico.ca>
Subject Tomcat setup permissions under linux
Date Wed, 25 Oct 2000 04:10:37 GMT
Hi all,

I want to test my application in a deployment context and try it under
linux.

I have set up a new PC with linux Debian 2.2, Sun JRE 1.3 and Tomcat 3.2B6.
When I untar the tomcat bin file, in the "/usr/local" directory, I noticed
that all files where owned by a user "500" and group "500". I checked in the
"/etc/passwd" that there's no user with id 500, so I choose to change the
property of all tomcat files and directories to "root.staff".

Now I created a "myapp" user that will own the application files, and I
don't want to give it access to root rights.

If I try to start tomcat from the "myapp" login, I obtain screenfull of
errors because tomcat can't access the "logs" and "work" directories. And
effectively, these directories are not created as they are on my development
environment.

Here come the questions:
[1] What should be tomcat files and directories permissions to allow access
to different users, under "/usr/local"? Must I run tomcat once as root to
create the missing directories and create initialization files?
[2] How should I start tomcat to give it the rights of some specific users
(and not root)? If I have two different users, should I need to start two
instances of tomcat?

Perhaps these are more linux questions and I'm not an expert in that field
but I want to setup my application with the right level of security on that
platform.
Thanks for your help.

Pierre Métras