tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Rick Castello" <r...@punk.net>
Subject Re: Configuration Setup for Virtual Hosts beside Main Host
Date Sun, 01 Oct 2000 23:05:27 GMT
I'm looking for the same information.

I'm playing with Tomcat on my home server, and have a number
of different domains I want to point to different places on the box.

In apache, it was easy to set up virtual hosts, but I'm having
difficulty achieving the same in Tomcat.

Help MUCH appreciated.

Thanks!

-Rick
rick@punk.net
----- Original Message -----
From: Russell "Elik" Rademacher
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Sent: Sunday, October 01, 2000 1:57 PM
Subject: Configuration Setup for Virtual Hosts beside Main Host

    I know that lot of people will say look though the FAQs and other
documentations, but it is more clearly geared to standalone single domain
setup for the Apache/Tomcat Setup.  Under the JServ, it is quite simple to
setup individual settings for the Servlets Containers for virtual hosts, but
under Tomcat, with the mod_jk, I am lost.

    It is hard enough trying to go though the web.xml and others and the
directory setup to figure it out.  It seems sort of okay for the single
domain setup, but what about the virtual hosts?

    I want to intregrate it into the Apache Server with the Virtual hosts,
but lot of people are asking for the JSP and Servlets and I cannot provide
those unless I get some clear understanding on how to make it work.

    Let say, I have couple of virtual hosts, and they want the Servlets and
JSP Support enabled.  So... I usually set up a directory called servlet or
java for them to put their stuff under it.  How do I setup it up so that it
is served in simple basic way regarding with all of those files that is
provided.  I usually considered myself smart, but with this new change, it
left me slumped here.

    I have Tomcat 3.2 running with IBM Java2-13 and it works with the
examples and such if you are asking if I have it working.  So...the next
step is this:  How do I setup the individual environments for the Virtual
Hosts using the mod_jk Module and such, with say, the mount point /java or
/servlet for example to have them put their JSP and Sevlets under it.

    I appreciate it if someone actually writes a very clear setup on this
area from the beginning to the start with real life examples instead of one
complicated example with so much technical details stewed all around.  It is
helpful if it is concise and simple so that we all can start understand how
it works and then work from there up wards to advanced understanding.

    Thanks guys.  And please..do not yell... Look at the FAQs and such,
since I already looked and it is not very clear.  I hope people can
understand that.
Linux Support & Adminstrator
Russell "Elik" Rademacher
DelhiNet Web Services, Pvt Ltd.