tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Mike Bremford" <>
Subject RE: Slightly off topic - Acrobat stalls on downloading a JSP
Date Mon, 16 Oct 2000 07:35:03 GMT
Hi Dave

It's only a hunch, but Tomcat sends files using the "Transfer-Encoding:
chunked" method, which seems to be the main difference between Tomcat and
(say) Apache in terms of HTTP. I know this was throwing out IE5 with SSL
because I had a blank line as the first line of my HTML.

Anyway, my point is that if a client stalls like this with Tomcat but not
with other web servers, this is possibly why. Check for an updated version
of your client, whatever it may be, that handles "Transfer-Encoding:
chunked" properly. I don't know of any way to force Tomcat not to use
chunked, but if there is a way of forcing it to respond with HTTP/1.0 rather
than 1.1, this may fix it.

Cheers... Mike

View raw message