tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Julio Serje (@Canada)" <jse...@home.com>
Subject Re: Why there are two apache servlets projects?
Date Fri, 20 Oct 2000 13:50:43 GMT
I would add that Tomcat is "is a world-class implementation of the Java
Servlet 2.2 and JavaServer Pages 1.1 Specifications. ", while Jserver is a
Servlet 2.0 container (does not have any JSP capabilities...)

Julio Serje
Calian Tech.
Kanata, ON, Canada.

----- Original Message -----
From: Ralph Einfeldt <ralph.einfeldt@uptime-isc.de>
To: <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, October 20, 2000 2:13 AM
Subject: AW: Why there are two apache servlets projects?

- The servlet spec is not completely backwards compatible.
  Some methods and a class have been deprecated
  see:
http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-12-1998/jw-12-servletapi_p.html

  But to change that shouldn'be be a big task.

- The biggest effort (acccording to the traffic in this list) is
  to convert the configuration.

> -----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
<snip/>
> The next question I pose is: how hard it is to eventually port the
> applications from JServ to Apache? I believe none due to backward
> compatibility, but is this really happening?
<snip/>