tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Kenneth R. Kress <kkr...@home.com>
Subject Re: Apache-Tomcat:Requires JSERV for Port 80?
Date Sun, 01 Oct 2000 18:44:22 GMT
Luis,

I'm an experimentalist, so here's what "works" and the theory
that seems to explain what works and what doesn't. I leave open
the possibility that I'm completely wrong and my theory fits the
facts coincidentally.

Apache listens on port 80. When a request comes in, Apache
looks through its modules to see if there is a special handler
for this particular request/URL.

If Tomcat has been integrated (Include ...tomcat-apache.conf in httpd.conf),
the jserv or jk module has been loaded. The URL matches the handlers
defined in the module and processing is passed to Tomcat.

That's my theory. It explains why you *must* load either mod_Jserv
or mod_Jk. It also opens the door to a way you could use Tomcat
and Apache without the modules. You could use a redirect of some
sort to pass the request from Apache on port 80 to Tomcat on port 8080.
I think you would lose alot doing that, but it should be possible.

Take a look at:
http://www.apache.org/docs/misc/rewriteguide.html

   Ken.

--