tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "John Bateman" <jo...@cyberworldgroup.com>
Subject confusion on running Stand alone
Date Tue, 24 Oct 2000 20:53:26 GMT
Hi

I'm a bit confused over all the documentation I've been reading. It tells me
to run the tomcat server in stand alone mode and verify that I can get the
servlets working before I try running it in or out of process with another
webserver.

This I understand, but I can't seem to find an example on how to verify that
my stand alone configuration works.

The tomcat seems to start fine and when I telnet to the IP address of my
server on port 8080 (or even port 8007) there's a response from something
sitting there waiting for a connection, but, when I try accessing
http://serverip:8080/index.html OR http://serverip:8080/test/index.html I
always get DNS can't locate server errors.

The log files seem to be happy with the exception that I occasionally see
this error message in the tomcat.log file. the error is marked by *'s, I've
just included the whole log file as it's quite small and maybe the insight
will help.
(FYI: /usr/local/tomcat is a symbolic link to /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat)

Starting tomcat install="/usr/local/tomcat" home="/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat"
classPath=".:/usr/local/tomcat/lib/ant.jar:/usr/local/t
omcat/lib/jasper.jar:/usr/local/tomcat/lib/servlet.jar:/usr/local/tomcat/lib
/test:/usr/local/tomcat/lib/webserver.jar:/usr/local/tom
cat/lib/xml.jar:/usr/local/java/lib/tools.jar:.:./:/lib/classes.zip:/classes
:/lib/dt.jar:/lib/tools.jar:/jre/lib/rt.jar:/usr/local/l
ib/jconn2.jar"
Context log: path="/admin" Automatic context load
docBase="/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat/webapps/admin"
Context log: path="/admin" Adding context path="/admin"
docBase="/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat/webapps/admin"
Starting endpoint port="8080"
handler="org.apache.tomcat.service.http.HttpConnectionHandler"
Starting endpoint port="8007"
handler="org.apache.tomcat.service.connector.Ajp12ConnectionHandler"
**** Error reading request connection reset ****

Thanks a million.

John Bateman
Cyber World Group Inc.