My own experience with these SIGSEGV11 crashes tends to point away from the VM as cause.  Some notes:

1. In my experience, IBM's 1.3 VM has been quite stable on RedHat.  I have a complex server application which runs for weeks at a time with no errors.  (Current uptime: 25 days, 17 hours, 3 minutes -- just checked.)  Whereas I do occasionally experience SIGSEGV 11 crashes running Tomcat on the same machine.  While this doesn't categorically rule out the VM as the cause, it does seem to point more toward Tomcat than the VM.

2. For me the SIGSEGV 11 crashes didn't happen with Tomcat 3.1.  Only started when I upgraded to 3.2b2.  Same VM, it was the Tomcat version which changed.

3. But, it's not clear that the Tomcat upgrade is the cause, since there was a lot of JSP development happening on the same machine at the same time.  In particular,  my project began implementing Session management around the time of the Tomcat upgrade.  It would be possible to rule out Tomcat version change as the cause by experimentally re-deploying my app-in-progress on Tomcat 3.1; I may do this while tracking down this problem.

Again, this doesn't rule out the VM, just tends to point in a different direction.  I suspect an instability somewhere in the Tomcat implementation, perhaps something specific to Session management.  Will have to trace this down before my app moves toward production-readiness.  Will post any new info as it turns up; meanwhile many thanks if you'll do the same.

Hope this helps,

Thomas Hagedorn <>
Sent by:

09/05/2000 05:13 AM
Please respond to tomcat-user

        Subject:        Re: SIGSEGV 11 (*) segmentation violation

I guess a problem with the IBM JVM in 1.3. even if it is declared as
final release, SUN JDK1.3 which is declared beta (for Linux) is still
more stable.
I'm working on RH6.2 and I had a lot of problems with IBM-JDK1.3 and
tomcat and jBoss and TogetherJ and all troubles dissappeared when
switching to SUN JDK1.3beta.

hope this helps

best regards

Am Die, 05 Sep 2000 schrieben Sie: