tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Kevin Sangalee <>
Subject java <defunct> on native threads under Linux
Date Mon, 04 Sep 2000 14:51:41 GMT
I've got an issue that's been niggling me for a while, so here goes...

Under Linux, with a JVM using native threads I have around 20 threads
running Tomcat. However there seems to be a thread being created and
zombied that shows up as [java <defunct>] on a 'ps ax' (list all

The process ID increases every time, so it seems that the thread is being
destroyed and another created. This happens every couple of seconds but
doesn't seem to have much of an adverse effect on the system as a whole.

I've tested under JDK 1.2.2 and 1.3 and both behave in exactly the same
way. I'm not using thread pooling. I've seen this behaviour on more than
one server (every one that uses native threads - green threads might be
doing the same, but the threads are hidden within the parent process when
I do a 'ps ax'.

Does anyone have any thoughts? I've searched extensively for answers to
this one, and there were some postings relating to JServ on a similar
issue, but all the postings had expired.

View raw message