tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Jay Herrick" <jay.herr...@cybersensor.com>
Subject RE: Optimizing Tomcat
Date Thu, 14 Sep 2000 13:26:23 GMT
Thanks Pierre,

I've looked through the Min User Guide and followed it's suggestions.  The
pooled connections are wonderful, but my benchmarks are still too slow.  I'm
trying to convince the powers that be to use Apache+Tomcat to replace
JavaWebServer from sun.  But my argument is not looking good in the light of
benchmarks.  We are running a Solaris 7 sparc server, and we are using
Microsoft's web stress tool.  We tested static pages and JSP pages (I'm
going to test pure servlets today).  Here are my current results in pages
per second:

                  Static       JSP
JWS               125          59
Apache+Tomcat     137          30

We are testing with 200 threads hitting the server for 15 seconds.  These
results are pages served per second.  Perhaps if my testing method is not
right someone could suggest a better one.  But it seems to me that I should
not have a 50% drop in performance on the same machine.

Thanks for any input,

Jay Herrick
Jay.Herrick@Cybersensor.com